Sunday, December 8, 2013

our thanksgiving


Thanksgiving 2013 really tricked me! A few months back, my mom let me know that she and my stepdad would be spending thanksgiving in California with his kids. Um, but we always do thanksgiving here. I'm not so good with change, you see. This left Bradley and I stranded. Where do we go now? My dad's? His dad's? His grandparents? Our friends in SC? Stay here and eat with my brother? So many choices, but we couldn't decide. Then my stepdad had some health scares (no worries, he's all better now) about a week or so before thanksgiving, and they decided not to go to California. And one by one our family made it work to be here for thanksgiving. We had the whole crew! I just think it's so funny because none of us were going to be together and then it all worked out in the end :)


This past year my mom has also had some health issues that have led her to go gluten free and dairy free. We were so proud to say that our entire thanksgiving feast was gluten free AND dairy free! I mean, who does that?! And the best part... everything was SO GOOD! And I bet if you had been a guest at our table and I didn't tell you, you wouldn't have even known. 

I really wish I had photos of every dish to show you, but I guess we were all too excited! Here's what we had:

Turkey
Honey Glazed Ham 
Brown Rice with Pecans + Cranberries (this year's dressing)
Roasted Sweet Potatoes + Butternut Squash
Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese
Grilled Basil Corn
Sweet Potato Casserole with marshmallows
Maple Brussel Sprouts (Aaren's specialty! So freaking good)
Collards
Cranberry Salad (This weird jello that my Nana always made)
Deviled Eggs

And for dessert:
Mini Pumpkin Pies
Mini Chocolate Chess Pies
Chocolate Chewies
And more sweet potato casserole!

When planning this meal, we also decided to change some of the traditional dishes for healthier options, like instead of a greenbean casserole, we had the roasted asparagus. But we still had to have a sweet potato casserole! That is a thanksgiving staple! Roasting a lot of the veggies was so easy and fast! Just drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. And when it came to dessert recipes we just made a few substitutions. We used Bradley's Meme's Chocolate Chess Pie Recipe but just traded out the evaporated milk for evaporated coconut milk so it was dairy free. And my mom had already been trying some gluten free pie crust recipes, so she was all set. Instead of butter she uses ghee, which is clarified butter. This option still gives you that great flavor.


We had such a wonderful holiday and I am so thankful to have my family in my life. I hope you all had a great thanksgiving, as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...