Wednesday, May 23, 2012

one of those days


May 5. It was just one of those days, you know, where everything isn't working. Yep, you've had them. So, it started with a cake order that needed to be delivered by 4 pm. This was planned about two weeks ago. No problem. But things get complicated. I'm taking a furniture class this quarter and my teacher is painfully slow. He blames it on the large class size, but we all know he needs to quit talking. And then maybe we'd be on schedule. Anyway, we are behind and he decided that we were going to have a class on Saturday at 11, which was mandatory, of course. So I get there and about an hour into the class, I get the nerve to ask how long this was going to take. I about fell over when he said 'oh, about 3 more hours, or so..'

Does he not know that I have a very important cake to make? Hmph. And it's not some quick, get it in the oven, slap on the frosting cake, either. It's the 14 layer chocolate cake. The cake that takes an insane amount of time. The cake that leaves you with the biggest mess possible that takes longer to clean than to make the cake itself. That one. And he decides that we're going to be here for 3 more hours. Or 'until we're done' as he added.

Thankfully, when I let everyone in on the secret, they were not having it. I didn't have to be the one complaining. There were plenty of others explaining their need to go to the beach, or finish projects, that he quickly realized, he wasn't going to win. Not today.

So we were out by 1:30, only a 2.5 hour class. Oh, thank you Professor, exactly what I wanted to do on a Saturday morning. Now I'm racing to my mom's house to get this cake started. I called her to preheat the oven so we could get this baby started. This cake is not a one person job, so I recruited my oh-so-willing mother.

Making the cake is pretty standard, so I won't go into that. But somewhere, it went wrong. I don't know what happened. I'm going with the fact that we hadn't made this cake in about 3 months, so we were rusty. Oh, and we were rushing. Big time.

This cake was a disaster. I was so embarrassed at the thought of this cake being on display at a birthday party. Now, at this time, it was already 4 pm. I was late with an ugly cake. Definitely not my most professional of days.

Luckily, the sweet woman who ordered the cake called around this time, and let me know that I could come later with the cake. I immediately decided to start over.

best. decision. ever.

So here they are the pretty one and the ugly duckling. We kept the ugly one and ate it up. It didn't matter that it was ugly, it still tasted amazing. At the end of this complicated, yucky day, there was cake. All is good in my book.

xo, Lark


1 comment:

  1. "cricket centre in australia
    Western Sports Centre are providers of World Class Indoor Cricket Training centre and warehouse retailer for all cricket equipment. For Cricketers we have cricket bats, cricket pads, cricket gloves, cricket balls, cricket shoes, bat repair service, world class indoor training facility, cricket bowling machine"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...