Friday, July 5, 2013

gluten free cinnamon sugar waffles

How amazing do these look? I mean, come on. I grew up on cinnamon toast, and have been eating it regularly until now. I never thought that I would find something to replace it. Boy, was I wrong. My mom got the book Cooking for Isaiah, which is full of gluten and dairy free recipes. In the book, there is a recipe for pancake mix, but they can be made into waffles. My mom had already tried the waffles and made an "everything" waffle, similar to an everything bagel. Anyway, she made them and instantly loved them. If you are gf and have tried the bread options out there, you know they are less than impressing. These waffles became bread for sandwiches and I couldn't be happier that she found this recipe! To make the amazing waffles that you see above, you will need to make the flour and pancake mix. Both of these recipes make a ton so you'll have it on hand. I like this so I don't have to make it every time that I want waffles.

silvana's all purpose flour blend
makes about 4 pounds
 6 cups white rice flour (Bob's Red Mill)
3 cups tapioca flour (Shiloh Farms)
1 1/2 cups potato starch (Bob's Red Mill)
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp xanthan gum (Bob's Red Mill)

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Store in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator. 

silvana's pancake mix
makes about 2 1/2 pounds
9 cups Silvana's All-Purpose flour 
1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp baking powder
2 1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Store in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator. 

Recipes from Silvana Nardone
cinnamon-toasted belgian waffles
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups silvana's pancake mix (above)
2 large eggs- room temp, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rice milk 
maple syrup

In a small bowl, combine both sugars and 1 tsp of the cinnamon. 
Preheat a waffle maker to medium- high heat. 
In a large bowl, mix together the pancake mix and the remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon. 
In another small bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla and milk. 
Add this wet mixture to the pancake mix and stir until just combined. 
Grease the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray (not the baking spray! it has flour!)
Pour a heaping 1/3 cup batter into each waffle iron quarter, spreading the batter to the edges.
Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon sugar.
Close and cook until crisp, about 4 minutes. 
Serve with maple syrup

**We thought that the waffles were amazing alone, so we didn't need any syrup, but a friend suggested that a cinnamon roll icing would be so good on these. I agree and will be trying it next time!

** Also, this recipe is gf and dairy free. My mom is doing both, so we made the waffles like the recipe. You could always use regular milk, but I'll say that I'm not dairy free and these were incredible!




Seriously? Does this not look delicious?! Somebody try it with the cinnamon roll icing and let me know how it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...